House Oriza L. Legrand was, in the XIX century, the provisioner of the royal courts of France, England, Italy and Russia.
For example, for the Russian imperial court were created Aux Violettes du Czar (1862), Violettes du Czar pour le Mouchoir (1896, on the photo), Doubles Violettes du Czar (1900) and Parfum de l'Aigle Russe (1907).
The name of the perfume House is the combination of two names: Maison Oriza and L. Legrand. Maison Oriza was founded by the famous royal perfumer Jean-Louis Fargeon in 1720. The name Oriza is a game of words “or” (gold) and “riz” (rice). The last means the rice powder for wigs and makeup. Louis Legrand bought it in 1811 from the heirs of the famous perfumer along with archives of perfumes and cosmetics and opened his shop on the Rue Saint-Honore. Half a century later, in 1860, he gave it to his more young and active partner Antonin Raynaud.